Gun Run 2018
Hamiltons Rugby Club, Green Point, Cape Town
Started in 1993, the Cape Town Gun Run, currently sponsored by OUTsurance, is a popular half-marathon that starts outside the main entrance to the Cape Town Stadium at 07h00am and that winds its way through the heart of Cape Town and passed Clifton 4th Beach. The 21km route passes the V&A Waterfront, travelling through the city's central business district and along Sea Point promenade before reaching the finish at the Winchester Mansions Hotel along Sea Point Promenade.
In addition to the 21.1km half marathon, there are also the more leisurely 10km (starts at 08h00) and a 5km fun run (starts at 09h00), which follow a similar scenic route but are less demanding. All three events start in Fritz Sonnenberg Road just opposite McDonalds and finish at Amphitheatre at Green Point Park.
The 5km Fun Run - The 5km fun run starts at 8:30am on Beach Road at the Hotel School. Participants will be able to enjoy the full vibe and atmosphere of the finish area along with the 21.1km and 10km runners who will be finishing at the same time.
- Start on Beach Road (Hotel School) and run towards town
- Turn right into Haul Road
- Right into Granger Bay Boulevard
- Right into Fritz Sonnenberg Road
- Left onto the stadium forecourt and under the circle
- Right onto Somerset Road and then into Helen Suzman Boulevard
- Loop back to Vlei Road and turn left
- Turn left and finish on the rugby fields
The 10km Run - The 10km starts at 7:15am on Beach Road next to the Hotel School. The race will finish at Greenpoint rugby fields (Vlei Road) where there will be plenty of space and a great vibe for all runners and spectators to enjoy.
- Start on Beach Road (Hotel School)
- Run past Mouille Point Lighthouse and left onto Helen Suzman
- Left into Granger Bay Boulevard
- At the second circle double back to the Stadium circle and turn right onto Helen Suzman Boulevard
- Continue on Helen Suzman and onto Beach Road
- Continue on Beach Road and right at the turning opposite Cassell Road
- Onto the Promenade
- Continue on to Mouille Point lighthouse
- Turn right into Greenpoint Park along the brick path over the bridge
- Left and finish on the rugby fields
The 21.1km Run - The half marathon starts at 6:30am. The race will start on Beach Road at the Hotel School and finish on Greenpoint rugby fields (Vlei Road).
- Start on Beach Road (Hotel School) run towards the lighthouse
- Turn left into Helen Suzman
- Left at the circle into Granger Bay Boulevard
- Past the next two circles and then right into Granger Road
- Straight into Dock Road
- Right into Ebenezer Road
- Right onto Somerset Road along the pavement, under the circle
- Continue along Somerset Road and left onto Beach Road
- Turn left up Clarens Road then right into Kloof Road
- Up Kloof Road, over the top and down towards Camps Bay
- Right at bottom of Kloof Road, Glen Beach onto Victoria Road
- Through Clifton then left at Seacliff Road down the hill onto Beach Road
- Past the swimming pool
- Onto the promenade opposite Church Road at the food kiosks
- Continue on the promenade past Mouille Point lighthouse
- Right into Fritz Sonnenberg Road
- Right into Stephan Way past Hamilton's Rugby Club
- Finish on the rugby fields
You are advised to get there early for this event as parking can be tricky.
There are various parking spots available for this year’s event. Participants are advised to get to the start early and to make use of the options listed below. Participants are requested not to park in any residential parking bays near the apartments on or around the area of the start on Beach Road in Mouille Point and not to park illegally as the Traffic Department will clamp, fine and tow vehicles.
Parking at CAPE TOWN STADIUM
1000 parking bays are available on a first come first serve basis inside the Cape Town Stadium. Runners must access this area before 6am via the Fort Vineyard Entrance in Granger Bay Boulevard. Access to the Stadium parking will close from 6am onwards.
Runners can purchase a parking ticket for the Stadium at Number Collection for R20.
Parking at GRAND PARADE - FREE MYCITI TRANSFERS
Park on the Grand Parade and get a free MyCiTi bus to the start of the race. Take a look at the timetables and route information
Parking at CIVIC CENTRE
Runners are advised to use the available parking areas on the east side of Buitengracht Street in order to avoid traffic congestion around the stadium. A MyCiTi bus service will be operational from the Civic Centre through to the Stadium. The following parking areas will be available at the Civic Centre:
- On-street parking around Civic Centre
- Gravel parking in Foreshore
- Grand Parade
V&A WATERFRONT PARKING
- Safe, secure parking is available at the V&A Waterfront.
- Breakwater (undercover) – R10 for 3 hours, 3-4 hours is R15 thereafter R10 additional per hour
- Most of the parking lots at the V&A cost between R20 to R30 for 4 hours.
From here it is a short warm up jog or walk to the start on Beach Road, Mouille Point.
Parking at CAPE QUARTER IN SOMERSET ROAD
Safe, secure parking is available at the Cape Quarter Shopping Centre in Somerset Road, a warm up walk or jog of less than 1km to the start.
P12, P13, P14 IN MAIN ROAD, SEAPOINT
Parking is available along Main Road, opposite the Stadium Precinct. Runners can access these parking areas either from Helen Suzman Boulevard or along Somerset Road. From here it’s a short warm up jog or walk to the start.
PLEASE NOTE: P4 next to the Green Point Athletics Stadium is for VIP, suppliers, medics, emergency vehicles, crew only.
BEACH ROAD, MOUILLE POINT
There will be no parking on Beach Road, and a large section of parking will be restricted adjacent to the finish area for emergency vehicles and race officials. PLEASE NOTE: The City will be erecting no stopping/parking signs in this area the day before the event and our security personnel will not allow runners or supporters to stop or park in the restricted zone anytime before or during the event.
Find out more about the Gun Run and how to enter