Two Oceans Marathon 2016
Cape Town Events
The next Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon, sponsored by Old Mutual, takes place over the weekend of Friday 25th March and Saturday 26th March 2016. The popular Two Oceans Marathon event actually comprises a number of races that competitors can choose to take part in. The ultra-marathon, which starts at 06h30, covers 56km and follows a similar scenic route to the Cape Argus Cycle Tour via Chapmans Peak, Hout Bay and Constantia Nek. The popular 21km half marathon starts at 06h00 and has already filled its quota of 14,000 runners.
For those of us who just want to have a bit of fun and are not quite so fit there are a number of Fun Runs planned to take place at the University of Cape Town Rugby Fields, Upper Campus, Rondebosch on Friday 25th March. There are events for all the family to compete in including:
- 56 m Nappy Dash - for kids 3 years and younger (must be able to walk) - Limited to 300 participants.
- 300 m Toddlers' Trot - for kids between ages 4 to 6 years - limited to 400 participants.
- 2.1 km - for the young, the old and the not so fit - limited to 1500 participants.
- 5.6 km - for the fitter and more adventurous runner/walker - limited to 5000 participants.
- 8 km - This is the perfect loosener for those running the half or the ultra marathon the following day limited to 1500 participants.
Good Friday Trail Run
On Good Friday there will be two Trail Runs (10km and 22km) which start at the UCT grounds which follow a route along the lower slopes of Devil's Peak. There is a minimum age of 14 for the 10km and 16 for the 22km Trail Run. The runs start at 07h00 on Friday 25th March 2016.
The 46th Two Oceans Marathon race is a key component of the Cape Town Easter Weekend festivities and the fun runs take place on the Easter Friday. Nearly 26,000 compete across all the different races many of which run for charity so expect whacky costumes. Again much of the city is closed to motorists. The following spots have been identified as the offering spectators the best vantage points.
Places to watch the Two Oceans Marathon:
- Main Road - Lakeside
- Fish Hoek - Kommetjie Road
- Silvermine Road intersection
- Noordhoek Village - start of Chapman's Peak
- Hout Bay Beach - end of Chapman's Peak
- Constantia Nek
- Cecelia Forest - along Rhodes Drive
- Kirstenbosch Gardens
- Union Avenue towards UCT.
The Two Oceans Half Marathon takes place on Saturday 4th April over a distance of 21.1km and which starts at 07h00. There is an age restriction of 16 for this race.
For more information and entries contact www.twooceansmarathon.org.co.za